The Statehouse Market is set to open for its’ fifth season on May 26 as scheduled at a temporary location inside White River State Park in front of the Indiana State Museum. The market officially is open this season from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. However, we are communicating to our employees that some vendors and trucks may open as early as 10:30 a.m.
The construction of the newly redesigned Robert Orr Plaza prevents us from hosting the market at the normal location on campus. The market could be in the temporary location until mid-August. Rest assured, once Robert Orr Plaza is ready for us, we’ll host our farmers and food trucks on campus again.
Food trucks and market vendors are parking along the main drive and greenspace in front of the museum. Additional vendors and trucks also are setting up along the Indianapolis Cultural Trail adjacent to California Street.
There are three spaces (or areas) at the temporary location where you may be assigned to park. Please read below and use the attached image for reference.
This is our primary food truck parking area. We’ll communicate with vendors and trucks as to who parks here. Trucks park along the drive with serving window facing the lawn. Since space allows, feel free to bring any chairs/tables to set up in front of your truck if you’d like.
Important things to consider:
- For this temporary location, any food truck vendor that uses a trailer setup must unhitch, as we have room for 10 stand-alone food trucks here. There is not enough space at this temporary location to allow one vendor to have two spots. We’ll provide you free parking for your vehicle for the entire market.
- Stand-alone food trucks park as normal.
- Food trucks must bring along a pavement covering to park your truck on. Examples are cardboard, plywood or tarps from wheel to wheel. These prevent oil leaks and other spills from damaging the road surface on the drive and/or Indianapolis Cultural Trail.
- You MUST bring a trash can as part of your set up.
- Arrive by 10 a.m. If you are late, you will be turned away.
This area is for a few of our smaller market vendors. We’ll communicate with vendors and trucks as to who parks here. Vendors in Area B must:
- Arrive by 9:30 a.m. If you are late, you will be turned away.
- Unload the tents, tables and products in the designated unloading area. Assistance is provided by Market and WRSP staffs for vendors to unload. Free parking is available for those in Area B.
- Setup in the greenspace in a line, connecting Areas A and C.
- Please remember to bring tents and weights to guard against the sun and wind.
Our plan is to park up to four vendors and two small food trucks in this area. We’ll communicate with vendors and trucks as to who parks here and have instructions on how to enter.
- Arrive by 9:30 a.m. If you are late, you will be turned away..
- VENDORS: Park vehicle in allotted space and set up in front of vehicle. FOOD TRUCKS: Park as directed
- All vendors and trucks in AREA C must bring along a pavement covering to park your vehicles on. Examples are cardboard, plywood or tarps from wheel to wheel. This covering prevent oil leaks and other spills from damaging the road surface on the drive and/or Indianapolis Cultural Trail.
- VENDORS: Please remember to bring tents and weights to guard against the sun and wind.
Arrival and Setup
Timely arrival for all vendors and food trucks this season is a must this season. No exceptions. If you can’t arrive by 10 a.m. for a market day, you forfeit your spot for the day.
All food trucks and vendors must be parked onsite by 10 a.m. White River State Park staff is assisting us with market setup each week. Food trucks are required to open no later than 11 a.m.
- Fees remain the same for the season. Vendors can pay the yearly fee or by day. Food Trucks pay $15 for single spot of $15. Double spots are no longer available.
- Restrooms are available for use in the Indiana State Museum.
- Every food truck must bring a trash can.
- White River State Parks is helping us connect with an even larger customer base via Downtown Indy hotels, NCAA employees, IUPUI, NIFS staff and others.
- We have increased our staff, so expect additional promotion through videos and social media.
- No vendor is allowed to leave early for any reason barring an emergency. All vendors and trucks are to be cleared by Market and WRSP staff.
Your cooperation is necessary and we thank you in advance for your cooperation. A few weeks ago, the market may not have happened at all if not for White River State Park stepping in to help. Our customers are asking us about it. It’s just a short walk from the Indiana Government Center to the Indiana State Museum, so the customers will be there. We hope you will too!
If you have any questions about how the market operates in the temporary location, please connect with us. You can call or email us your questions.